Monday, September 24, 2012

60 Steps Revisited: Step 51 - Be Alert To Unexpected Benefits

Back in 2009, I did a series of posts covering the excellent book Crime Analysis For Problem Solvers. The book is published by the US DOJ's Problem Oriented Policing Center (POP Center). Because of the value I think this book has for crime analysts, and policing in general, I am going to re-post this series on here on the blog.

In this post in our journey through Crime Analysis For Problem Solvers we are up to Step 51 - Be Alert To Unexpected Benefits.

The authors have this to say about this step:

You can drastically underestimate the effects of your intervention if you do not take account of diffusion of benefits (Step 13). You may conclude that the intervention is not worth the effort or that it failed to suppress the problem. This is particularly true when diffusion contaminates your control group.
I have to say that this step is a bit more difficult for me to comment on. I do encourage you to read this one for yourself. There's just not much I can add to a very thorough chapter on measuring the effects of your problem solving effort. I guess the only thing I can say is it's important for us to be very careful in our approach to measuring our effectiveness.

Next time we'll cover Step 52 - Expect Premature Falls In Crime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to remove defamatory, libelous, inappropriate or otherwise stupid comments. If you are a spammer or are link baiting in the comments, a pox be upon you. The same goes for people trying to sell stuff. Your comment will be deleted without mercy.